During a power outage:
• Unplug sensitive equipment (computers, fax machines, microwave ovens, and
• Turn off major appliances (washers, dryers, air conditioners) to prevent their
unexpectedly coming on when power is restored.
• Turn off heat-producing appliances (stoves, toaster ovens, irons and hair
curlers) to minimize fire hazard if power is restored while you are away.
• Leave on one light so you'll know when power has been restored.
• Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed to prevent food spoilage. Food in a
closed freezer will stay frozen for up to two days
For information on claims due to power failure, go to the page Damage Sustained or download the claim form here.