Electricity helps us every day. It helps us stay cool, cooks our meals, and cleans our clothes. But electricity can also kill or cause serious injuries. Pay attention to the following safety tips:
- Only plugs go into electric outlets. Never put anything else in an electric outlet.
- Only light bulbs go into light sockets. Never put anything else in a light socket.
- Do not pull on cords to unplug them: hold the plug instead.
- Broken cords or cords with wire showing are dangerous. If you see one- do not touch it.
- Water and electricity do not mix. Make sure you are dry when touching electrical things like light switches and hair dryers.
- Fallen power lines can still have electricity in them. Stay far away from fallen power lines.
- Fly kites only in open spaces with no power lines nearby. If your kite gets stuck on a power line, call an adult and do not try to get it down yourself or call 0800135 immediately.
- Do not climb power poles and trees close to power lines.