FAQ - Interuptions & Maintenance

How do I report an interruption?

If your house has electricty partially or none at all, first take a look at your fuse box and see if all the fuse switches are up. If your house doesn’t have any water, take a look at the main tab outside and check if it isn’t closed. If you haven’t been able to resolve the issue yourself, you can call our Contact Center at 0800-0135 (24/7). Please provide them with your name, address and account number or ID when asked for,